Updated: Jul 25, 2021
There will never be anyone exactly like you. You were given special gifts and talents to share with the world, and even though everybody has special gifts and talents, nobody will use theirs quite the same way you do.
– Jen Sincero
One of the most common things people do is compare themselves with others, rather it be intentional or unintentional, it probably all started with some of our elders comparing us to Aunt Marlene's kids, or the neighbors kids down the street then we grow older and feel the need to continue that crazy ass cycle.
Comparison can bring about tension and depression so here I share a few reasons why you shouldn't compare yourself to others: 1. Don't compare your life to other people's live, sometimes others so called "perfect life" is just an illusion, some of it may be the truth but not the "whole truth". Every single person on this Earth experiences problems and challenges throughout their lives. No one is exempt from this. Some people are just better at keeping it together, at least on the outside.
2. Life isn't always fair, some people are born with more advantages, wealthy parents, crazy connections that helped them land a great job, then we sit around and beat ourselves up for not trying hard enough when there never was an even playing field to begin with.
3. You don't want to turn friends into rivals, we should be genuinely happy and celebrating the accomplishments of others.
4. It can be damaging to your sense of self, even if you're comparing yourself to someone less fortunate will come at a cost, because that means you take pleasure in someone else's misfortunes and failures in order to feel adequate. Not cool at all!
5. It's not going to help you accomplish your personal goals. Sitting back and comparing someone who you think it better looking, have a nice care, better job or whatever is very time-consuming and ineffective. If you really want to live a life that feels fulfilling you need to dedicate your time and energy to your own personal aspirations and goals.
6. Remember, there will always be someone better than you at something. At some point in your life, someone will beat you to whatever it is you’re after....that house, that car, that dream vacation or that great job. You can’t always win at everything in life. All you have to do is work hard and try your best, and whatever is meant to be will fall into place for you at the right moment.
7. And the biggest...I thought I'd save the best for last. IT WILL KILL YOUR JOY It's unhealthy and it's never ending so that's why it's best to just stay away from the comparison game.
Always count your blessing, be grateful for what you do have Think about how lucky you are to have what you have now, to have the people in your life who care about you, to be alive at all. There may be someone wanting the things that you take for granted.
Do you constantly compare yourself to others? Has it benefited your life in any way? Please share your comments below.